Saturday, September 17th & Sunday September 18th
9 am – 4 pm
Rebel Ridge Farms
295 Woods Road, Elkton, MD 21921
Something for everyone, including:
- AKC-licensed Spaniel Hunting Tests (two days, two tests) on Saturday and Sunday.
- WD (Working Dog) hunt tests for selected spaniel breeds on Sunday only.
- On Saturday only:
- Mock Junior Pointing Hunt Test
- Mock Junior Retrieving Hunt Test
- Open House for all MSDA members and potential members.
The rest of this web page is about the Pointing and Retrieving Mock Hunt Tests and the Open House, all on Saturday. Follow the link for information about the Spaniel Hunting Tests and WD Tests.
MSDA’s Fall Hunt Test Weekend has traditionally been focused on flushing breeds. In 2021, we added an “open house” for members and prospective members. This year, we expanded further to provide Mock Junior AKC Hunt Tests for pointing and retrieving breeds. For those who have done some hunt training, including perhaps at MSDA’s Field Day, and were either curious about pointing or retrieving hunt testing, were getting ready for a first hunt test, or just needed a bit of extra practice (and some feedback), this was a great opportunity. The mock hunt tests were no-pressure, fun and great learning experience.
21 dogs entered the Mock Hunt Tests with another half dozen signed up for Open House. This included one or more of the following breeds: Boykin Spaniel, Brittany, Clumber Spaniel, English Setter, Epagneul Breton, Flat-Coated Retriever, German Shorthaired Pointer, Golden Retriever, Irish Red and White Setter, Irish Setter, Labrador Retriever, Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, Vizsla, and Weimaraner.
Here are some photos. (Click on any picture to enlarge it and move through the slideshow.)
Of the Pointing Mock Junior Hunt Test:
Of the Retrieving Mock Junior Hunt Test:
And, of course, thanks to all the Pointing, Retrieving, and Open House attendees who contributed… the potluck lunch buffet!
If you’re on Facebook, more photos are posted on MSDA’s private group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/mdsportingdog.
If you have questions about:
- Pointing tests in general, pointing breed training, or about MSDA’s mock hunt test, please contact Sally Eck via Pointer@mdsportingdog.org.
- Retrieving tests in general, retriever training, or about MSDA’s mock hunt test, please contact Dennis Durham via DDurham@mdsportingdog.org.
- MSDA in general, please learn more about us and consider joining the club. Or email Pamela DeSmidt via Secretary@mdsportingdog.org .
Last, but not least, if you are an MSDA member, and you learned something or just had a great day with your dog, please consider sharing your progress via our new “Member Milestones“.