Saturday, August 17th
1:30 – 4:30 pm
North Laurel Community Center
9411 Whiskey Bottom Rd.
Laurel, MD 20723
This event is free, but please sign up (below) so we know how many people to expect.
This Saturday afternoon seminar will cover stewarding for AKC conformation, obedience, and rally events.
The day will focus on events and procedures for Maryland Sporting Dog Association’s “Spring Event”, which is held the first weekend of March each year at Howard County Fairgrounds. The spring weekend includes two days of conformation judging for AKC Sporting Group breeds. These events are two of the five biggest sporting dog conformation shows in the U.S. and attract well over 500 entrants each day. We also have three days of obedience and rally trials that are open to all breeds, and these draw another 100-150+ entries each day. Managing all of this requires an enormous volunteer effort, and stewards play a key role.
During the seminar, we’ll review what you need to know to confidently fulfill a stewarding role at MSDA’s Spring Event. If you are interested in volunteering as a steward for MSDA or another club, or if you are considering a future in judging (there is a stewarding requirement to obtain licensure), we hope you will attend on August 17th.
Specific seminar topics will include:
- A quick overview of events and classes, e.g., obedience vs. rally; breed judging vs. junior showmanship.
- Who’s who in the hierarchy, e.g., event chair, judge, steward, superintendent.
- Stewarding procedures from setting up your space to turning in the steward’s book at the end of the day. This is where most of the seminar will be focused. There will be presentations, Q&A, discussions, plenty of real-life examples, amusing stories, and demonstrations using actual equipment and tools from MSDA’s events. But, no, there will NOT be a test at the end of the day. 😊
Printed materials will be provided to each attendee.
- Gregg Kantak: Gregg, who is chairing this seminar, is an AKC conformation judge, breeder, owner and handler. For more than ten years, Gregg has served as Chief Steward for the MSDA conformation events.
- Richard Todd Jackson: Richard is an AKC conformation judge, breeder, owner and handler. Since 2017, Richard has been the Show Chair for MSDA’s Spring Event.
- Erv Lhotka: Erv is an AKC obedience judge, breeder, owner and handler of Labrador Retrievers with both conformation and obedience titles. Erv has served at MSDA’s Spring Event in both conformation and obedience stewarding roles.
More about the seminar:
- Light snacks and chilled drinks will be available throughout the afternoon.
- You do not have to be a member of MSDA to attend this event.
- Please note that this seminar is for humans only; no dogs.
If you have any questions, please contact Gregg Kantak at email@example.com .
Please fill out this short form to register, so we know how many people to expect:
If you have problems filling out this form or don’t receive the confirmation e-mail, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’re looking forward to seeing you there!