MSDA holds two of the largest sporting group conformation shows in the U.S. and, along with those, three days of all-breed obedience and rally trials, breed specialties, bird instinct clinics, and other activities. In 2020, the dates and major activities for MSDA’s events at the Howard County Fairgrounds (just south of I-70) in West Friendship, MD were February 28th – March 1st.
THANK-YOU participants, judges, stewards, trophy sponsors and all volunteers!
Please contact our Event Chair, Richard Jackson, with any questions or comments or if you would like to be involved in a future Spring Event. And, you can learn more about MSDA and stay informed of our activities by signing up for our e-mail list.
Below are some snapshots of the event. Click any picture to open an enlarged slide show of all of them.
The trainer also took photos of many of the dogs who participated in the Barn Hunt Try-It. See them at Nose Prints and More.
David Sombach Photography was the official photographer. He took all of the “win” photos. Literally hundreds of photos are available for viewing and purchase online at his website.
Major activities this year included:
- MSDA Sporting Group Conformation Saturday and Sunday.
- MSDA All-Breed Obedience & Rally Trials. Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
- Breed Specialty Show on Friday – Northern Virginia Brittany Club.
- Breed Specialty Show and Obedience & Rally Trial – Potomac Valley Golden Retriever Club.
- Designated Specialty – Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever Club (USA) on Saturday.
- Bird Instinct Clinics in the morning and afternoon on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
- Sporting Dog Fun Match, by the Chesapeake English Cocker Spaniel Association, Friday evening.
- Canine Good Citizen Testing Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
- Barn Hunt “Try-it” on Saturday and Sunday.
- Flyball demonstration and “race” on Sunday.
- MSDA Membership Meeting, dinner, and seminar on Saturday evening.
Also on the schedule were sweepstakes, owner-handled, junior handler, and best bred-by-exhibitor competitions. There was puppy and veteran sweepstakes, a dog show tour and new exhibitor briefing, and morning coffee & doughnuts.
Official results are available at the AKC website:
- Friday 2/28/2020 All-Breed Obedience
- Friday 2/28/2020 All-Breed Rally
- Saturday 2/29/2020 Sporting Group Conformation, Junior Showmanship, and All-Breed Obedience
- Saturday 2/29/2020 All-Breed Rally
- Sunday 3/1/2020 Sporting Group Conformation, Junior Showmanship, and All-Breed Obedience
- Sunday 3/1/2020 All-Breed Rally
The following clubs supported entries at the shows: Capital City Cocker Club, Capital Region Flat-Coated Retriever Club, English Cocker Spaniel Club of America, Flat-Coated Retriever Society of America, Irish Setter Club of Greater Richmond, Irish Water Spaniel Club of America, Labrador Retriever Club of the Potomac, Lower Susquehanna Irish Setter Club, Maryland Brittany Club, Mid Atlantic Field Spaniel Club, National Capital English Setter Club, Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever Club – USA, Potomac Valley Golden Retriever Club, Susquehanna Valley English Springer Spaniel Club, Sussex Spaniel Club of America, Welsh Springer Spaniel Club of America, and Wilderness Pointer Club.
A big THANK-YOU to all who answered the call to work as volunteers and to those who sponsored trophies for our 2020 Spring Event!
- Horse Brooch,
- The Sharp Shop,
- Salty Dog & Sweet P’s Swag,
- MFD/Digi-Art Photography and Portraits,
- Sunflower Trading Company,
- ComfyPooch, and
- K-9 Fun-Fit, LLC.
More Information: Once again, the chair of this event was Richard Jackson. Please contact him directly with any questions or comments.
We also invite you to learn more about us, and sign up for our e-mail list to be updated (mostly via a monthly newsletter) on all club activities: